Emmerson-Ross Recruitment are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We promise to keep your data safe and private, not to sell your data, to give you ways to manage and review your data.
The Policy is written in accordance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and sets out the basis on which any personal and sensitive data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
The data we collect
Under GDPR we have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. We have procedures and security features in place that aim to keep your data secure once we receive it. In each case, we will collect the information that we need to provide the recruitment services requested.
We collect data in three ways:
• Information you give us. When you register on our website, through job applications, corresponding with us via email, social media and phone, information collected by paper, and through face-to-face meetings.
• Information collected from third party sources. Y our referees may disclose personal information about you, our clients may share personal information about you with us, we may obtain information about you from searching for potential candidates from third party sources such as LinkedIn and other job sites.
• Through automated technologies. With regard to each of your visits to our website we may automatically collect the following information: technical information – the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and information about your visit to our website – pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, and length of visit.
When you apply for a position or create an account to apply for a position, we may collect the following data about you:
• contact information such as your name, e-mail address, phone number(s), postal address, and social media accounts;
• employment and education history;
• language proficiencies and other work-related skills;
• details of the kind of work you are looking for, and your preferred work location(s);
• information contained in your C.V. or resume, cover letter or personal statement;
• date of birth;
• citizenship and work authorisation status;
• information provided by references;
• results of skills tests;
• where appropriate and in accordance with local laws and requirements, we may also collect information relating to your health, or any details of any criminal offences and driving offences;
• account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords when you register on the website.
Why do we collect information about you?
We need to collect and hold information about you, for a variety of reasons including:
• the delivery of our services;
• understanding your needs to provide the services that you request;
• assess your suitability as a job candidate and your associate qualifications for positions;
• contacting you by post, email or telephone;
• sending marketing materials, and job alerts regarding available positions;
• updating your customer record;
• to administer skills tests;
• to process your references in the final stages of the recruitment process;
• to fulfil contractual obligations with prospective or intended employers;
• creating and managing online accounts.
We may not be able to provide you with our services unless we have enough information, or your permission to use that information.
How we use your information
We will use the information you provide in a manner that conforms to the GDPR Act. We will endeavour to keep your information accurate, up to date and not keep it for longer than is necessary.
We process your information for the following purposes:
• to allow us to be able to communicate with you and provide our services;
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with information, and services that you request from us;
• responding to your request, inquiries and comments;
• to ensure that we meet our legal obligations;
• where necessary for the law enforcement functions;
• for other legitimate business purposes.
Legal basis we rely on
We may collect and process your data to pursue our legitimate interest in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
Do we pass data to third parties?
We will only share your data outside Emmerson-Ross Recruitment where we need to perform our service, you have requested it or given your consent. We do not transfer any information outside the European Economic Area (EEA), and at no time will your information be passed to organisations external to us and our partners, for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use without your permission.
We may disclose information as necessary to:
• prospective or intended employers (or third parties assisting them in the recruitment process) or customers for the purpose of recruitment. C.V. submissions to employers will be for a valid and specific role, which will be agreed by you prior to being submitted on your behalf;
• verify information you have provided from third party sources;
• trusted third parties who perform functions on our behalf and who also provide services to us (If we use products or services which process personal information, we will only use GDPR compliant companies to help deliver our services, and we will only provide information they need to perform their specific service);
• government or law enforcement authorities based on a lawful disclosure request.
How long we store your data
We will keep your data for as long as you wish to receive our communications and thereafter for the longer of the period required in order to meet our business, legal or regulatory responsibilities. Typically this is for 2 years. We will always dispose of paper records or delete any electronic personal information in a secure way.
Your rights & choices
Under applicable data protection laws, you have the following rights:
Right to correct your personal information: You can view the information we hold about you and/or update and rectify any missing or incorrect data we hold about you through the candidate portal (you are provided access to your candidate portal on our website when you register and set up an account). You can also ask us to update and rectify any missing or incorrect data we hold about you.
Right to be forgotten/have data deleted: You have the “right to be forgotten”, this means you can request us to delete and stop processing your data at any time. This right is subject to any legal rights or obligations we may have to retain data.
Right to access and obtain a copy of your personal information: You have the right to request a copy of the data that we hold about you.
Marketing: We will only send marketing communications to you via email or other communication means where you have consented that we may do so. We offer you a check box on the forms we use to collect your data where, if you agree to receive marketing communications, you have to click the box. Where we send marketing communications to you via email, you may opt out of receiving any further marketing communications by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ or ‘opt-out’ function in the email. In addition, you can also exercise your opt-out right at any time by contacting us and providing the following information: your name, your email address, a contact telephone number, and the marketing communications you would like to opt out of receiving.
When you apply for a position or create an account to apply for a position, our processing of your data is based on your consent, you also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
If you would like to exercise your rights or would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please email email@example.com. Any request will be actioned within 48 hours.
The right to data portability: You have the right to download and export your information, and if requested, we will comply with your request within 30 days.
Where we store your data
Personal and sensitive data will be stored on Firefish Software [https://www.firefishsoftware.com/].
Results of skills tests, your name, and email address will be stored with isv.online [https://www.isv.online/].
The White House
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113. Or go online to www.ico.org.uk.